We work with clients from all industry sectors to ensure that they satisfy their Health & Safety obligations.
Health and Safety is relevant to many aspects of a successful business. Whether it be strategic advice at governance level, managing health and safety incidents, or defending prosecutions in the courts, we are regularly involved in every aspect of Health and Safety with our clients.
Our Health and Safety lawyers are part of our litigation and employment teams and have extensive experience with the Health and Safety in Employment Act and associated regulations. We get to know your business so that we can help you to satisfy your legal obligations.
Our lawyers provide specialist assistance to employers and others in the handling of WorkSafe NZ investigations, right from the time a workplace incident occurs and through the investigation and interview phase. If an investigation does result in a prosecution, our litigators have significant experience in managing and defending prosecutions.
Our team can also advise you on terms and conditions for health and safety compliance in employment agreements and other contracts, including with contractors and subcontractors, as well as in policies.
We frequently deal with impairment issues in the workplace, such as drugs and alcohol, stress and bullying, assisting with the associated health and safety and employment issues.
We also provide clients with expert advice on the health and safety obligations of companies, their boards and senior management, particularly on the effect of proposed changes to health and safety legislation.
- Appeal to the High Court against sentences imposed on employers for failing to use helmets on quad bikes.
- Advising on health & safety clauses for a number of industries and their insertion into employment agreements
- Advice on various drug and alcohol issues relating to impairment at work and testing
- Defending clients against Health and Safety criminal prosecutions brought by WorkSafe New Zealand
- Private prosecution of the New Zealand Defence Force under the Health and Safety in Employment Act, relating to the ANZAC day 2010 Iroquois crash.
- Regular assistance to employers facing investigation and / or prosecution from WorkSafe New Zealand