Kate is an associate in the Resource Management and Environmental Law Team. Kate joined the firm in February 2018 having graduated from the University of Canterbury with a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Science majoring in geography and economics.
Kate provides advice in relation to both district and regional resource management matters, including planning processes, preparing resource consent applications, enforcement of regional plans and resource management related due diligence for commercial properties. Kate has particular expertise in complex consenting matters and judicial review proceedings.
Kate also advises local authorities and private clients on local government matters.
Kate is on the committee for the Canterbury branch of the Young Resource Management Law Association.
- Providing advice in relation to regional planning documents managing natural resources to local authorities.
- Advising local authorities on procedural requirements under the Local Government Act 2002 and the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.
- Advising several local authorities in relation to judicial review proceedings.
- Providing advice in relation to development contributions.
- Undertaking environmental due diligence in respect of commercial properties throughout New Zealand.
- Assisting in successfully obtaining resource consents for commercial clients.
- Appearing at a Council hearing and successfully obtaining a certificate of compliance for workers’ accommodation in an industrial zone (contested by the council).
- Part of the legal team assisting a private developer with obtaining resource consent for a large subdivision, including assisting with subsequent Environment Court appeals.
- Part of the legal team acting for Environment Canterbury in judicial review proceedings relating to water bottling activities.
- Appearing as junior counsel in the High Court on appeal from a declaration decision of the Environment Court relating to an advice note in the Hurunui and Waiau River Regional Plan.
- Property Council of New Zealand