Richard is a consultant in the Firm's Insurance team. He is well known in the insurance industry for his technical expertise in this area of law.
Richard has a well-earned reputation for his highly developed technical skills in insurance law and litigation/dispute resolution - tempered with an approachable, pragmatic and cost-effective approach. The breadth of Richard's expertise in insurance spans most areas with particular expertise in:
- liability cover – especially professional indemnity claims involving real estate and property professionals (including leaky building claims), financial advisers (brokers), liquidators/receivers, and solicitors;
- complex property claims (material damage) and issues arising from business interruption;
- statutory liability, and occupational health & safety claims/defence work;
- all aspects of health & life insurance, including life, accident, travel, income protection, trauma and TPD (total permanent disability) issues. Richard has a reputation in the health & life insurance area as a leading practitioner in this area, and one of the few 'go to' people, with an extensive understanding of both NZ and overseas jurisprudence and developments;
- insurance fraud. Richard has worked extensively with insurers and leading fraud investigators on countless suspected and complex fraud and arson claims, and has achieved excellent outcomes for insurers in collaboration with other disciplines;
- policy drafting – particularly in the health & life insurance area.
Richard is a seasoned advocate, trial capable, and has worked repeatedly with some of the country's top insurance barristers. His clients include some of NZ's most iconic real estate/property firms and insurers.
Richard is recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
for his work in Insurance law, describing him as "very practical and commercially sensible, particularly in real estate PI matters". He is also recommended and recognised as a leader in his field by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022.
In previous directories one client described him as "highly intelligent and very knowledgeable". He has also been recognised as a notable practitioner who "continues to grow his reputation as one of the market's foremost insurance specialists and is an experienced trial lawyer. Peers and clients alike recognise his wealth of experience in the real estate sector, as one client enthused "He understands customers on a business and a personal level, is extremely knowledgeable, and goes above and beyond what you would expect".
"I like the intellectual stimulation of analysing the issues and identifying a solution as well as the human side of taking the problem out of the client’s lap. As far as the latter, it is very satisfying providing the means for the client to focus on getting back to their business, and not having to deal with what is often a stressful distraction."