Greg specialises in commercial dispute resolution. He has extensive experience in a broad range of commercial litigation, arbitration and regulatory investigations.
Greg advises clients in the private and public sectors in disputes involving:
- Commercial contracts.
- Company law and directors duties.
- Statutory liability, including the Fair Trading Act and Financial Markets Conduct Act.
- Professional liability, including solicitors, financial advisors, brokers and valuers.
- Product liability.
- Insurance, including indemnity, liability and recovery.
- Construction projects, infrastructure and utilities.
Greg appears before courts and tribunals at all levels, including arbitral tribunals. He is also experienced in proceedings before the English courts and international arbitral tribunals.
Greg joined the firm on returning to Auckland after working in London at a Magic Circle firm where he led teams on complex and high value commercial disputes and investigations across multiple jurisdictions.
Greg originally qualified and began his career in Auckland at a leading boutique litigation firm.
Greg has a BCL (with Distinction) and MPhil from the University of Oxford where he was top of his class in international dispute resolution. He also has a BA and LLB (Hons) from the University of Auckland.
- Representing an investor in a failed technology company in High Court proceedings against the directors of the company for breaches of the Companies Act, Securities Act and Fair Trading Act (Banks v Farmer & Ors).
- Advising a property development company in High Court proceedings against a commercial tenant that backed out of a commercial property transaction (Northlake Investments Ltd v Wanaka Medical Centre Ltd).
- Representing an investor in a failed online trading fund in High Court proceedings against the fund providers and financial advisers for breaches of contract, negligence, the Fair Trading Act and the Financial Markets Conduct Act (Shallard v Hamilton & Ors).
- Defending a commercial landlord in arbitration proceedings before a retired High Court Judge brought by commercial tenants in respect of extensive latent water damage to premises, and defending a subsequent application to appeal to the High Court (KKDS Ltd v S&G Three Kings Ltd).
- Acting for a large investment management company in negligence claims against tax advisers.
- Acting for New Zealand shareholders in a dispute with overseas shareholders over the control of a company and decisions in relation to major transactions.
- Advising an education provider on negligence claims against solicitors.
- Acting for the purchaser of a large foodstuffs business in High Court proceedings over a dispute under the sale and purchase agreement.
- Advising a commercial lender on claims against a co-lender under the Fair Trading Act.
- Representing a commercial tenant in arbitration proceedings brought by a commercial landlord alleging breaches of the lease.
- Advising a national transport company on product liability claims against an equipment supplier.
- Advising a liability insurer in a dispute over policy coverage in relation to intellectual property claims against the insured.
- Advising a company director on an investigation by the company into the director’s conduct.
- Representing a University in complex arbitration proceedings concerning a joint venture with a private training academy.
- Defending Australian construction contractors in High Court proceedings alleging defects in the construction of a large commercial property development.
- Representing an American insurer in High Court proceedings alleging fraud in relation to health and disability policies.
- Defending a Japanese gas appliance manufacturer in High Court proceedings for personal injury claims alleging carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Representing a large dairy producer in a prosecution brought by environmental authorities for the contamination of drinking water.
- Representing one of the UK’s largest companies in high-value international arbitration proceedings against the government of a foreign state concerning a complex infrastructure project.
- Representing one of the world’s largest financial institutions in a global investigation concerning compliance with international economic sanctions, involving regulators and prosecutors in a number of major jurisdictions.
- Defending the UK Serious Fraud Office in High Court damages claims brought by high-profile former suspects in the international investigation into the collapse of Kaupthing Bank (Tchenguiz v SFO).
- Representing Essex County Council in proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court against an Urbaser-Balfour Beatty joint venture relating to the construction of a large-scale waste treatment plant (Essex County Council v UBB Waste (Essex) Ltd).
- Advising an International Organisation in relation to complex disputes concerning multi-billion pound financial assistance provided following the 2008 financial crisis.
- Representing a global technology contractor in an investigation by the UK Serious Fraud Office into allegations of bribery and corruption in several foreign jurisdictions.
- Advising one of the UK’s largest retailers in relation to a number of contractual disputes with one of its main suppliers.
- Representing a major insurer in an investigation concerning financial misconduct by senior managers, involving the Financial Conduct Authority and the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority.
- Representing one of the UK’s largest pension trustees in an investigation by the UK Pensions Regulator concerning covenant strength and investment decisions.
- Defending a global manufacturer in a dispute over the sale of part of its business, involving claims by the purchasers for breaches of warranties and indemnities.