Richard is a consultant in the Firm's Insurance team. He is well known in the insurance industry for his technical expertise in this area of law and for his skill in litigation/dispute resolution. He is also widely recognised as being approachable, and for adopting a pragmatic and cost-effective stance.
The breadth of Richard's expertise in insurance spans most areas with particular expertise in:
- liability cover – especially professional indemnity claims involving real estate and property professionals (including leaky building claims), financial advisers (brokers), liquidators/receivers, and solicitors
- complex property claims (material damage) and issues arising from business interruption
- statutory liability, and occupational health & safety claims/defence work
- all aspects of health & life insurance, including life, accident, travel, income protection, trauma and TPD (total permanent disability) issues. Richard has a reputation in the health & life insurance area as a leading practitioner in this area, and one of the few 'go to' people, with an extensive understanding of both NZ and overseas jurisprudence and developments
- insurance fraud. Richard has worked extensively with insurers and leading fraud investigators on countless suspected and complex fraud and arson claims, and has achieved excellent outcomes for insurers in collaboration with other disciplines
- policy drafting – particularly in the health & life insurance area.
Richard is a seasoned advocate, trial capable, and has worked repeatedly with some of the country's top insurance barristers. His clients include some of the country’s most iconic real estate/property firms and insurers.
Richard is acknowledged as a Leading Individual by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
for his work in insurance law. He is also recommended and recognised as a leader in his field by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022.
"I like the intellectual stimulation of analysing the issues and identifying a solution as well as the human side of taking the problem out of the client’s lap. As far as the latter, it is very satisfying providing the means for the client to focus on getting back to their business, and not having to deal with what is often a stressful distraction."