We have forged an international reputation for our expertise in the insurance sector amongst insurers and their policyholders. Our team is recognised as leaders in dispute resolution - sought after for our knowledge of technical aspects of policy coverage as well as the rigour of our liability defence. We are also engaged for our advisory and corporate legal services. The Wynn Williams insurance team consistently receives glowing recommendations from the likes of the Asia Pacific Legal 500, Chambers and Partners, and individuals within the team are consistently listed in NZ Lawyers rankings.
How can we help
We advise across all key insurance lines: financial, professional indemnity, statutory liability, directors' and officers' liability, product and public liability, property and casualty, cyber and crime, health and life. Our services include:
- Successfully defended a real estate agent facing misconduct charges brought by the regulator, leading to the disciplinary tribunal ordering costs against the regulator for the first time.
- Advising a mechanical engineer on an extremely technical potential negligence claim involving a high profile new building.
- Successfully defended an author of a work of investigative journalism from a series of defamation and breach of confidence claims in respect of the book.
- Successfully defended a lawyer accused of dishonesty, corruption, and involvement in an international smuggling operation.
- Defending a global machinery manufacturer against a complex product liability claim involving international supply chain issues.
- Successfully resolved a negligence claim against a law firm arising from advice to a company about carrying out a major transaction, which avoided court proceedings and a Law Society complaint.
- Successfully defended a high-profile corporate client at trial and on appeal in the leading case on recklessness arising from a WorkSafe prosecution.
- Negotiated and drafted a collective insurance arrangement for a group of seven South Island District and Regional Councils in relation to infrastructure assets.