Philip is the National Managing Partner of Wynn Williams and is a partner in the Resource Management and Environmental Law Team. He is experienced in a wide range of resource management and local government matters, with particular expertise in freshwater management.
Philip is a highly skilled advocate and regularly appears on appeals to the Environment Court and High Court. With degrees in both science and law, he is able to readily assimilate complex technical information often associated with resource management projects.
As lead legal advisor to Environment Canterbury and Environment Southland, Philip is adept at managing client relationships and understands the complexities associated with achieving strategic outcomes within the confines of the law. In these roles he has led the development of the Canterbury Land and Water Regional Plan (including sub-region catchment sections giving effect to the National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management 2014) and the proposed Southland Water and Land Plan. He has also advised Regional Councils on:
- All stages of plan development, from inception through to resolution of appeals, including regional and district plans, and regional policy statements;
- All stages of resource consenting, including for quarrying, stormwater discharge, retail development, water takes, irrigation schemes, hydro-electricity schemes, subdivision and industrial developments;
- Water Conservation Orders;
- Judicial review on notification decisions; and
- Declaration proceedings, in both the Environment Court and the High Court.Philip has also served on the National Committee of the Resource Management Law Association.
Philip is recommended and recognised as a leader in his field of Resource Management by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
. He is described by a client as "an excellent presenter and communicator" and his advice "always well thought out". Another client comments "The team as a whole is exceedingly competent. Philip Maw and Lucy de Latour are unflappable and provide calm, measured advice. They are always available to us and respond well even under tight timeframes.”
Philip is also recognised and recommended by the Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020
and Chambers Global 2020
legal guides, where he is described as "a highly regarded practitioner", "forceful without being aggressive; he drives matters very well and makes sure that the job gets done."
In a previous directory Philip is described as "fantastic - thorough, concise and responsive".
"I like to work collaboratively with my clients and their advisors, focusing on delivering results which add real value. Often, simplicity is the key – solutions need not be complicated to be effective."